Friday, September 4, 2009

Why have I lost 160 pounds and still don't feel amazing?

It's very strange - this should be the time of my life and I should be celebrating such an amazing achievement but cannot seem to get out of this funk I am in as food no longer holds the "primo spot" in my life and so many things I cannot eat anymore or just don't even want to try as I know I will get sick.  For starters, I just want to eat lettuce again!  I can't eat eggs, can't eat hardly any meat, no bread, no rice, no pasta - no burgers.  I haven't actually eaten a burger since March 2008!  This journey has had its good and bad and I find myself just not eating because I don't think about it.  For example, I work mostly from my home and sometimes don't even think of food until late in the day - if at all.  I have made so many changes in my life over the past year and life has a strange way of forcing change that needs to happen.  I ended a 6 year relationship, lost 160 pounds, changed positions in my company, bought a home and have re-prioritized so many friends in my life this year.  You'd think this would have me jumping up and down but it's almost like I am in such a "transition" I don't know where to go next.

I am reading my journal from my weight loss book from the past year.  My first entry was:

"Well today I begin. I have many thoughts and feelings but the biggest at the moment is un-certainty.  I have been large for so long now I honestly don't know what "smaller" means.  I'm still hungry and still view food the same way so six weeks on a clear liquid diet just doesn't make me 'smile'!  I do have great support and I am grateful for this.  So-it begins today- a tool is here now for ME to help myself and self-control...now bring on the pain meds!"

Now I know what smaller means for sure.  I am a 32 waist and wear medium shirts.  I don't have to shop anymore at Big and Tall stores for XXXL shirts and 52 waist pants.  How did this ever get so crazy that I let myself go - how could I not care enough about myself?  But that is all past now but the emotions still remain unfortunately.  I know how it feels to be super obese and now just "normal" - as I've said before this is taking a little getting used to in my life.

What I am really hoping the universe sends me - and what I am putting out there - is that all of this will come together soon and I will have a true feeling of happiness and be able to share this with someone else and my wonderful friends and family.  For now, I spend much quiet time just reflecting on all I HAVE done and how this weight loss journey has really been wonderful but has come with a considerable amount of pain and sacrifice.

But I will keep writing this out and hopefully it will all make sense.  It is just so strange that food cannot comfort me anymore.  I had a very horriffic event happen this week - Brandon (my ex partner) had to be rushed to the hospital with a heart condition.  Sitting by his bedside for over 24 hours, I was so emotionally stressed and drained - I wanted to eat. I even tried - I went to the hospital cafeteria and bought lots of food but ended up throwing it away as I was too full.  At home, I tried to force food but threw up and was crying hysterically with worry - even though I don't think Brandon knew just how concerned I was about all this.

The bottom line is I cannot use food anymore - period the end.  But I can't use other things to mask my emotions either.  It's a delicate balance and I am FAR from getting all this together.  I've not been proud at some of the decisions I've made this year and have been irresponsible at times.  In general, I am changing every day - emotionally and physically.  And that's a good thing.  I just need to believe in myself a whole lot more!