Sunday, August 16, 2009

...and so it begins...

I don't really know where to begin exactly. I have never blogged before or read a blog for that matter. But I just saw this movie (Julie & Julia ) and it inspired me to tell MY story that I think (or hope) some folks in the world will identify with ... the struggle with weight and weight loss.

Now, I know there are probably a million blogs out there about this subject but for me, I suppose, this is something that is going to help me to heal as I have really been challenged by this 155 pound weight lost over the past 15 months.

Basically, it all started with a Big Mac when I was five years old in 1969. They didn't have many McDonald's at the time and certain not like the restaurants now but I remembered seeing how huge it looked and how I thought I wanted one - I begged my my mom and she finally let me have one. Thus starting my addition to "sauces" (more on that later).

Now, this is NOT about fast food at all - we ALL make our own choices in life and deal with the consequences of our actions. I just happened to find food as my "special friend" - the friend that was always there for me without questioning. Anyway, before I knew it, I was an overweight kid at 6 years old and pretty much continued to yo-yo with every diet imaginable after this time.

My first diet was at age 8 - I remember using my allowance money to go get some of these caramel chews to eat instead of a meal - needless to say it was like eating a box of chocolates for me.

I had the real problem though that my two brothers were very thin so my mother had to keep food separated so I wouldn't eat the "bad stuff" (like Pop Tarts, Sugar Smacks, etc) - yet I did.

By the time I was 11 I was just about 5 feet tall and weighed 136 pounds - it sucked. I was somehow popular in school but knew that everyone made fun of me so I overcompensated by being the "life of the party". It all really never worked too well and just left me emotionally depressed. Eventually, my mom went to my Physical Ed teacher and talked with him - he got me on a running program that helped me to lose 35 pounds over 4 months - great at the time and lasted through highschool but by college the pounds started to come back on quickly.

In this blog, I am thinking I want to give folks the day-by-day of my weight loss journey over the last year as so many people I know have told me I've inspired them which means so much to me. I will get back to my past (and believe me I have a past) but for now, this is all today that I think I can write about...all I will say is that this all boils down to loving yourself - and I've learned this the hard way over about 30 years now being obese - never did I think I could weigh 330 pounds. So I hope some people out there can identify with my story and my struggles. If nothing else, for me, I can work through some of the issues I am going through NOW that I weigh only 175 pounds.

Much more to follow on this journey...